When traveling, there’s no better way to capture the moment than by snapping an incredible picture or video. It’s something that, along with the memories, lasts a lifetime. I love looking back on old travel pictures reminiscing when it was taken. I find myself thinking about the adventure, the new friends made, and all of the laughs that surround that exact moment captured. Over the years I’ve tried to hone in on my photography skills (still trying!) by reading blogs and doing research of what people recommend. The following is what I use and love. Hope it helps!
1. A good quality camera. My pick is the Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark II. Not only is it aesthetically really cool (it has an old school vibe) it takes incredible pictures, videos, and it has build in Wifi for mobile sharing. Always great when you’re posting on social media while on the road.
2. A multi-purpose lens. Of course real photographers have about 10 different lenses but I like to keep it simple. I personally use the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm F2.8. It takes crisp images, has a nice zoom, and great macro capabilities. All in all it’s a very versatile lens that I never take off.
3. A collapsible tripod. I don’t always bring it with my on the road but whenever I can it’s always very useful.
4. A cute camera bag. I’m obsessed with my camera bag because it also doubles as a purse! You can carry all the other essentials in there without having to lug around an ugly standard camera bag. My favorites right now are the Gatta bags.
5. An iPhone or another smart phone. Sometimes when traveling the best pictures are the ones you’re not prepared for and that sometimes means not having your camera ready. I’ve captured some amazing pictures on my iPhone that I would have missed if I had wrestled around with getting my camera out.
6. A drone. This is for the more seasoned photographer/traveler really. I’m currently obsessed with my DJI Mavic Pro. Not only does it take incredible pictures and videos, it’s also extremely user friendly and folds up for easily traveling.
7. Extra fully charged batteries. I always have at least 3 charged drone batteries and one camera battery with me at all times when traveling. You never know where you will be when they die and if you’ll have access to a plug. (which leads me to my next one…)
8. Portable charger with cords. I always have a fully charged portable charger with me JUST in case. The drone I have uses my iPhone as the remote controller screen which is amazing but it drains the phone battery. I always have a charger just in case.
9. GoPro. When I’m doing anything extreme, such as diving or paragliding, and want to film it I always use my GoPro. The built in stability when recording videos in 4K is amazing and the device itself is very durable when put inside the case.
10. Good photo editing software. When I’m on my computer seriously editing pictures I always use PicMonkey photo editor. It’s free online or you can upgrade with a small flat fee which I did. If I’m just editing pictures on my phone I like to use Snapseed.
11. A durable camera strap. I have an awesome handmade leather strap with my initials that I’m slightly obsessed with. I ordered mine off of Etsy but if you look around you can find one that suites your personality!
Happy traveling everyone! What do you use?