Traveling Internationally can be overwhelming. Even when you’re an experienced traveler trying to remember everything can be hard. I’ve come up with a checklist to make the hardest part of traveling easier!
Weeks before you go:
» Check your passport expiration date. Some countries require your passport to be valid for 6 months after your intended departure date. Check the expiration date on your passport and if you need to renew your passport you can do it online here.
» Check if you will need vaccinations. If you are traveling to an off the beaten path destination, vaccinations might be strongly encouraged. You can check here to see what vaccinations are recommended.
Days before you go:
» Research the weather. Make sure for packing purposes that you have an idea of what the weather will be. There’s nothing worse than being stuck on your vacation with unexpected inclement weather and you’re not prepared for it!
» Print out copies of important documents. I always print out my flight information, hotel reservation confirmation numbers and address (you’ll need your destination address for customs), and a copy of my passport. Just in case.
» Get your body ready. Eat healthy, up your hydration, and try and change your sleep schedule to what it will be like. All of these things will help with nasty jetlag!
» Call your bank/credit cards. This is important and people forget to do this all the time including me. You must call your bank and/or credit cards to inform them of your travel schedule. If not they will put a temporary block on all charges and that is not fun when you’re in the middle of nowhere with no cell service! Do it a few days ahead so you’re not like me calling as the plane is taking off.
» Check with your hotel/apartment to verify reservation. Just to make sure!
» Make a packing list. This is important to start a few days before you even think to start packing. Keep a little list with you and you’ll be amazed at how many random things you would have forgotten to bring with you if you didn’t make this list ahead of time.
Make Your Packing List!
- Copy of flight information
- Reading material
- Antibacterial wipes/hand sanitizer
- Travel pillow/eye mask
- Phrase book to brush up on/guidebook on area
- Travel Power Adapter (not all countries use the same plugs! Buy an international one that comes with all the different plugs to make life easier)
- Cell phone charger
- Copy of important documents
- Any necessary medications
- Travel first aid kit
- Accessories for ladies
- Skin care (lotion, face wash, etc)
- Travel size: shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant, lotion, sunscreen (if needed)
- Hairbrush (for the ladies- hair ties, bobby pins, travel size hairspray, travel size dry shampoo, blow dryer/straightener/curling iron
- Day wear + 1 extra outfit (just in case!)
- Night wear + 1 extra outfit (hey, you need options you never know)
- Comfortable day shoes
- Night shoes
- Bathing suit/cover ups (if you’re on that type of vacation)
- Purse for girls/backpack for guys